The Chatter Project is the crypto-CIA of a US Navy program that began in the fall of 1947 focused on the identification and subsequent testing of drugs used in interrogation and recruitment of agents . This program included experimentation with animals and humans. The program ended shortly after the end of the Korean War in 1953 .
It was under the control of Dr. Charles Savage 1 of the National Naval Medical Center , Bethesda , Maryland , from 1947 to 1953 . 2
The project was intended to identify natural or synthetic products that would aid in the interrogation . The project was focused, but not completely , on the use of Anabasis aphylla (an alkaloid ), scopolamine and mescaline .
Project Chatter was stopped in 1953, presumably to its few successes and to the success of other programs of mental control of the CIA. 3 4 5 6 7
- Back to top↑ Acid Dreams – The CIA, LSD, and the Sixties Rebellion , by Martin A. Lee and Bruce Shlain
- Back to top↑ FOIA Documents from the Department of the Navy ; (Delivered in 2002) Project Chatter – US Navy Human Drug Test Program , The Black Vault
- Back to top↑ Estabrooks, GH Hypnosis comes of age. Science Digest, 44-50, April 1971
- Back to top↑ Gillmor, D. I Swear By Apollo. Dr. Ewen Cameron and the CIA-Brainwashing Experiments. Montreal: Eden Press, 1987.
- Back to top↑ Scheflin, AW, & Opton, EM The Mind manipulators. New York: Paddington Press, 1978.
- Back to top↑ Thomas, G. Journey into Madness. The Secret Story of Secret CIA Mind Control and Medical Abuse. New York: Bantam, 1989 (paperback 1990).
- Back to top↑ Weinstein, H. Psychiatry and the CIA: Victims of Mind Control. Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Press, 1990.