Leo Rudolf Raubal ( December as October as 1906 – 18 as August as 1977 ) was a teacher , soldier and administrator Austrian . He was the son of Leo Raubal (Sr.) and his wife Angela (half-sister of Adolf Hitler ), reason why was nephew of the Nazi leader.
Leo Raubal Jr. worked in Salzburg as a professor of chemistry . He visited his mother sporadically while she was living in Berchtesgaden . According to William Patrick Hitler , Leo did not like his uncle Adolf and blamed him for the death of his sister Geli . This can not be confirmed because (according to the historian Werner Maser ) 1 Leo said in 1967 that Hitler was “absolutely innocent”. Leo Raubal was, like his younger cousin, Heinz Hitler , a “favorite nephew of the Fuhrer “, since Hitler liked to spend time with him. 2 Before the war he became the director of a steel factory in Linz. In October 1939, he was recruited by the Luftwaffe and was a lieutenant in the corps of engineers. He was very much like his uncle Adolf Hitler, so he sometimes served as Hitler’s double during the war. 3
He was wounded in January 1943 during the Battle of Stalingrad , 4 and Friedrich Paulus asked Hitler for a plane to evacuate Raubal to Germany. 5 Hitler refused and Raubal was captured by the Soviets on 31 January as as 1943 . Hitler gave the order to review the possibility of an exchange of prisoners with the Soviets with the son of Iosif Stalin , Yakov Dzhugashvili , who was in German captivity from the 16 of July of 1941 . Stalin, who was not very close to Yakov, refused to change, either to Raubal or to Friedrich Paulus, and declared: “war is war.” 6
Raubal was imprisoned in a prison in Moscow and was released by the Soviets on September 28 , 1955 , returning to Austria. He lived and worked in Linz as a teacher. He died during a vacation in Spain. He was buried on 7 as September as 1977 in Linz. Leo Raubal Jr. had a son, Peter (born 1931 ) who is (along with the son of Raubal’s sister, Elfriede Raubal, Heiner Hochegger, and the three children of William Patrick Hitler ), the closest living relative to Adolf Hitler. Peter Raubal is a retired engineer who lives in Linz, Austria.
- Back to top↑ Werner Maser, Werner (1972). Adolf Hitler . Bechtle. P. 23. ISBN 0-252-00897-9 .
- Back to top↑ Mitchell, Otis C. (2008). Hitler’s Stormtroopers and the Attack on the German Republic, 1919-1933 . Jefferson, NC: McFarland & Co. p. 30. ISBN 0-7864-3912-2 .
- Back to top↑ www.telegraph.co.uk
- Back to top↑ Deighton, Len (1987). Winter: a novel of a Berlin family . New York: Knopf. P. 464. ISBN 0-394-55177-X .
- Back to top↑ Hauner, Milan (1983). Hitler: a chronology of his life and time . London: Macmillan. P. 181. ISBN 0-333-30983-9 .
- Back to top↑ Tolstoy, Nikolai (1978). The secret betrayal . New York: Scribner. P. 296. ISBN 0-684-15635-0 .