Pedro Varela Geiss ( Barcelona , October 9, 1957) is a Spanish right-wing bookseller, writer, essayist, editor and publicist, president between 1978 and 1993 of the neo-Nazi group CEDADE and defender of Holocaust denialist positions .
Born on October 9, 1957 1 2 in Barcelona , in 1978 he became president of CEDADE , 3 publishing negationist material. 4 In 1992 he spent three months in prison in Austria for a Hitler speech. 3 Announced his resignation from the CEDADE leadership in January 1993. 5 After the group was dissolved, in 1994 he founded the Europa 6 Bookstore in Barcelona, where he would also sell pronazi literature. 7 In 1998, a trial was initiated against Varela, who was sentenced to five years’ imprisonment for apology of genocide. 6 In 2010 he was again sentenced to two years and nine months’ imprisonment for an offense “for the dissemination of genocidal ideas” and another for “attacking the fundamental rights and public freedoms guaranteed by the Constitution”. 8 Varela, who had entered jail on 12 December 2010, left the prison on 8 March 2012. 9
He declares himself a Catholic and a vegetarian . 2
- Back to top↑ Jesús García (January 15, 2012). “The Nazi Varela sows swastikas in prison .” The Country .
- ↑ Jump to:a b Ferrándiz, 2012 , p. 8.
- ↑ Jump to:a b Atkins, 2009 , p. 131.
- Back to top↑ Bailer-Galanda, 1997 , p. 185.
- Back to top↑ Casals, 1995 , p. 185.
- ↑ Jump to:a b Rodríguez Jiménez, 2012 , p. 116.
- Back to top↑ Büttner, 2011 , p. 185.
- Back to top↑ Pere Ríos (March 8, 2010). “Two years and nine months in prison for the neo-Nazi Pedro Varela .” The Country .
- Back to top↑ J. Oms (March 14, 2012). «The owner of the Filonazi Librería Europa is released after serving 15 months in prison» . Elmundo.es .