This is a list of members of the July 20 Plot , a failed coup attempt to assassinate Adolf Hitler in 1944.
At least 7,000 people were detained by the Gestapo . 1 According to the records of the Fuerhrer Conferences on Naval Affairs, 4,980 people were executed. 1
The process was carried out by the Volksgerichtshof (People’s Court) established between 1934-45.
Hitler ordered the most prominent conspirators to be “hanged like cattle.” In Plötzensee Prison , they were hanged in cattle hooks and slowly strangled with piano strings. 2 Some senior officers were shot in the Bendlerblock .
- Major Wolfgang Abshagen (* 1897 – † 1945)
- Colonel Otto Armster (* 1891 – 1957)
- Otto Baer jun. , Businessman (1880 – 1947)
- Colonel General Ludwig Beck , former head of General Staff ( 1880 – 1944 ); Executed on July 20 in the office of Colonel General Friedrich Fromm after being allowed two opportunities to shoot himself. 3
- Lieutenant Colonel Robert Bernardis ( 1908 – 1944 ), dies executed in the field of Berlin-Plötzensee .
- Count Albrecht Graf von Bernstorff , ex- councilor of embassy ( 1890 – 1945 ); executed by a firing squad at the headquarters of the Gestapo the 22 of April of 1945 . 1
- Count Hans-Jürgen von Blumenthal ( 1907 – 1944 ).
- Lieutenant Colonel ( Staff ) Hasso von Boehmer ( 1904 – 1945 ).
- Eugen Bolz , former president of Württemberg ( 1881 – 1945 ), executed.
- Lieutenant Colonel Georg von Boeselager , cavalry officer ( 1915 – 1944 ), killed in combat.
- Lieutenant Philipp von Boeselager , cavalry officer ( 1917 – 2008 ).
- Dietrich Bonhoeffer , professor of theology and a pastor of the Confessing Church ( 1906 – 1945 ), who was arrested for treason in 1943 , executed on 9 of April of 1945 . 4
- Klaus Bonhoeffer , lawyer ( 1901 – 1945 ), executed by the Gestapo on 22 April as as 1945 . 1
- Baron Randolph von Breidbach-Bürresheim , death from natural causes.
- Dr. Eduard Brücklmeier , retired diplomat, legation councilor ( 1903 – 1944 ), executed.
- Captain Axel Freiherr von dem Bussche-Streithorst ( 1919 – 1993 ), attempted to assassinate Adolf Hitler by immolation with grenades. 5
- Oscar Caminecci , farmer , dies executed.
- Admiral Wilhelm Canaris , head of the Abwehr ( 1887 – 1945 ); hanged in the concentration camp of Flossenburg the 9 of April of 1945 . 6
- Walter Cramer , industrial ; Hanged in the prison of Plötzensee the 14 of November of 1944 .
- Justus Delbrück , dead in a Soviet concentration camp .
- Professor Alfred Delp , ( 1907 – 1945 ), Jesuit; executed on 2 February as as 1945 . 7
- Dr. Wilhelm Dieckmann , ( 1893 – 1944 )
- Marion Gräfin Dönhoff , proposed as person ID to the President of the Bundesrepublik , in 1979 , Willy Brandt .
- Heinrich Graf zu Dohna-Tolksdorf , landowner .
- Court official Hans von Dohnanyi ( 1902 – 1945 ), arrested for treason, 1943 ; executed on 9 April as as 1945 .
- Lieutenant Hans Martin Dorsch , dies executed.
- Captain Max-Ulrich Graf von Drechsel , dies executed.
- Professor Fritz Elsas , former lieutenant of mayor of Berlin , is assassinated.
- Lieutenant ( Staff ) Karl-Heinz Engelhorn executed.
- Lieutenant Otto Hans Erdmann , executed.
- Baron Alexander von Falkenhausen , military commander of Belgium and the north of France ( 1878 – 1966 ); Liberated by the American troops of Niederhorf the 4 of May of 1945 , before the Gestapo can execute it; Imprisoned until 1951 for war crimes.
- General Erich Fellgiebel , military commander of the communications command ( 1886 – 1944 ); He was in charge of cutting communications on July 20 , he was hanged on August 10 , 1944 .
- Colonel ( Staff ) Eberhard Finckh ( 1899 – 1944 ), dies executed.
- Professor Max Fleischmann , he forced to commit suicide.
- Lawyer Reinhold Frank , dies executed.
- Ehrengard Frank-Schultz , executed.
- Colonel ( Staff ) Wessel Freiherr Freytag von Loringhoven ( 1899 – 1944 ), who provided the explosives for the Plot , is ordered to commit suicide.
- Seller Walter Frick
- Colonel General Friedrich Fromm ( 1888 – 1945 ). Aware that the conspiracy failed, he betrayed and executed other conspirators, including Claus von Stauffenberg , on July 20 . He was arrested on the orders of Heinrich Himmler the next day, and executed by a firing squad for “cowardice” the 19 of March of 1945 .
- Captain Ludwig Gehre , is killed.
- Colonel Rudolf Christoph Freiherr von Gersdorff ( 1905 – 1980 ), intelligence chief of Field Marshal Guenther Kluge , planned a suicide bomb attack on 21 of March of 1943 .
- Eugen Gerstenmaier ( 1906 – 1986 ), Councilor Consistory , and later President of the Bundestag .
- Hans Bernd Gisevius ( 1904 – 1974 ).
- Erich Gloeden , architect , dies executed.
- Elisabeth Charlotte Gloeden , born Kutznitzki, wife erich Gloeden , dies executed.
- Carl Friedrich Goerdeler ( 1884 – 1945 ), former mayor of Leipzig ; arrested on December as August as 1943 in Konradswalde ; Hangman 2 as February as 1945 .
- Fritz Goerdeler , treasurer of Königsberg ; Brother of Carl Goerdeler , hanged in February 1945 .
- Colonel ( Staff ), Helmuth Groscurth , dies in a Soviet concentration camp .
- Journalist Nikolaus Gross , ( 1898 – 1945 ), dies executed.
- Karl Ludwig Freiherr von und zu Guttenberg ( 1902 – 1945 ) 1934 newspaper editor, organized the first meeting of Carl Goerdeler and Ulrich von Hassell in 1939 , under Counter-intelligence Admiral Wilhelm Canaris , arrested by the Gestapo after July 20 Of 1944 , assassinated between the days 23 – 24 of April of 1945 .
- Max Habermann , leader of the Christian syndicate , commits suicide.
- Hans Bernd von Haeften , an official of the office of foreign , executed.
- Lieutenant Werner von Haeften ( 1908 – 1944 ); Von Stauffenberg assistant, executed the 20 of July of 1944 , by a firing squad on the orders of General Fromm .
- Syndic Albrecht von Hagen ( 1904 – 1944 ), dies executed.
- Colonel Kurt Hahn , dies executed.
- Colonel General Franz Halder , Chief of Staff ; troops liberated by Americans in Niederdorf of 4 of maypole of 1945 , before the Gestapo can carry the death penalty.
- Nikolaus-Christoph von Halem ( 1905 – 1944 ), merchant, dies executed.
- Eduard Hamm , a former ministry official ( 1879 – 1944 ), commits suicide.
- Colonel ( Staff ) Georg Hansen , dies executed.
- Colonel ( Staff ) Bodo von Harbow .
- Carl-Hans, Graf von Hardenberg.
- Ernst von Harnack , a former district president, dies executed.
- Lieutenant General Paul von Hase , commander of Berlin ( 1885 – 1944 ); Among the first eight judged by the People’s Court; hanged on 8 August as as 1944 .
- Ulrich von Hassell , former ambassador to Italy ( 1881 – 1944 ); Executed on September 8 , 1944 .
- Dr. Theodor Haubach , Democrat social leader , dies executed.
- Professor Georg Albrecht-Haushofer ; executed by a firing squad in a prison of the Gestapo , 23 of April of 1945 .
- Major ( Staff ) Egbert Hayessen , dies executed.
- Wolf-Heinrich Graf von Helldorf , dies executed.
- Franz Hempner , dies of executed.
- Major General Otto Herfurth ; Accused of collaborating with the conspirators and betrayed; Dies executed.
- Andreas Hermes , former minister for food and agriculture ( 1878 – 1964 ).
- Colonel General Erich Hoepner ( 1886 – 1944 ); One of the first eight hanged, 8 of August of 1944 .
- Colonel César von Hofacker ( 1896 – 1944 ), Lawyer ; Led to the execution of General Erwin Rommel , died executed.
- Commander Roland von Hößlin (Hösslin), dies executed.
- Otto Hübener (Hübner), director of an insurance company , dies executed.
- Colonel Friedrich Gustav Jaeger ( 1895 – 1944 ), dies executed.
- Technical Max Jennewein , murdered.
- Professor Jens-Peter Jessen .
- Attorney Hans John , murdered.
- John Otto ( 1909 – 1997 ), in 1954 , while President of constitutional protection, deserted East Germany .
- Hermann Kaiser , an elementary school teacher, dies executed.
- Jakob Kaiser , co-founder of CDU ( 1888 – 1961 ).
- Franz Kempner , (1879-1945), official of the ministry of retirees (under secretary of state ).
- Albrecht von Kessel , Diplomatic, Mission Advisory at the Vatican .
- Otto Kiep , former consul in New York ( 1886 – 1944 ).
- Georg Conrad Kießling (Kissling), farmer , dies executed.
- Lieutenant Colonel Bernhard Klamroth , dies executed.
- Johannes Georg-Klamroth , Merchandiser .
- Hans Georg Klamroth , Salesman ( 1898 – 1944 ).
- Captain Karl Friederich-Klausing ( 1920 – 1944 ), dies executed.
- Ewald von Kleist-Schmenzin ( 1890 – 1945 ) Executed the 9 of April of 1945 .
- Ewald-Heinrich von Kleist-Schmenzin (1922-2013), son of the former, German general.
- Lieutenant -Ewald Heinrich von Kleist-Schmenzin ( 1922 – 2007 ).
- General Field Marshal Günther von Kluge ( 1882 – 1944 ) poisoned the 18 of August of 1944 , having been replaced by General Walther Model .
- Commander Gerhard Knaack , dies executed.
- Dr. Hans Koch , lawyer ( 1893 – 1945 ), dies executed.
- Heinrich Körner (Koerner), a union leader , is killed by German soldiers.
- Captain ( Navy ) Alfred Kranzfelder , dies executed.
- Richard Kuenzer , murdered.
- Elise Auguste Kutznitzki , born of Liliencron, dies executed.
- Lieutenant Colonel Fritz von der Lancken , (1890-1944), director of a school, dies executed.
- Attorney Carl Langbehn , dies executed.
- Ernst Langheinz , (18 of May of 1894 -?), Actor of theater.
- Dr. Julius Leber , democratic political socialist ( 1891 – 1945 ), executed.
- Heinrich Graf von Lehndorff-Steinort , (1909-1944), landowner . Executed the 4 of September of 1944 .
- Syndic Dr. Paul Lejeune-Jung ( 1882 – 1944 ), dies executed.
- Commander Ludwig Freiherr von Leonrod , (1906-1944), dies executed.
- Bernhard Letterhaus , leader of the working Catholic community ( 1894 – 1944 ), dies executed.
- Franz Leuninger , (1898-1945), former secretary general of the Christian Metalworkers’ Association, dies executed.
- Wilhelm Leuschner , (1890-1944), Social Democrat leader and former Minister of the Interior of Hesse , dies executed.
- General of Artillery Fritz Lindemann , (1894-1944), is assassinated.
- Lindemann’s wife, Elise Lindemann , commits suicide, († 1944)
- Colonel ( Staff ) Hans Otfried von Linstow , (1899-1944), died executed.
- Paul Löbe ( 1875 – 1967 ).
- Ewald Loeser ( 1888 – 1970 ).
- Ferdinand von Lüninck , governor of Westphalia , (1888-1944), dies executed.
- Wilhelm Graf zu Lynar , (1899-1944), dies executed.
- Hermann Maaß , Social Democrat leader .
- Colonel Rudolf Graf von Marogna-Redwitz .
- Karl Marks , merchant.
- Michael Graf von Matuschka , president of the district .
- Colonel Joachim Meichßner .
- Lieutenant Colonel ( Staff ) Karl Michel .
- Carlo Mierendorff , SPD ( 1897 – 1943 ).
- Helmuth James Graf von Moltke , lawyer .
- Joseph Müller , a Catholic priest .
- Dr. Otto Müller , prelate .
- Herbert von Schwarzenstein Mumm , councilor out of service.
- Lieutenant Colonel Ernst Munziger .
- Arthur Nebe , (1894-1945), chief of the national police.
- Wilhelm zur Nieden , (1878-1945), fighter of the resistance against the regime of the Nazi, executed 23 of April of 1945 together with Klaus Bonhoeffer, Rüdiger Schleicher and ten others.
- Gustav Noske , political SPD ( 1868 – 1946 ).
- Major ( Staff ) Ulrich von Oertzen .
- Colonel General Friedrich Olbricht ( 1880 – 1944 ) executed on the orders of Colonel General Friedrich Fromm , 20 as July as 1944 .
- General Hans Oster hanged at Flossenbürg next to the Admiral Wilhelm Canaris , 9 of April of 1945 .
- Margarethe von Oven (1904-1991).
- Friedrich Justus Perels , (1910-1945), legal adviser to the Confessing Church and was a German lawyer and combatants of the resistance against Nazism, executed on April 22, 1945 by the Gestapo .
- Lieutenant General Erich Petersen , (1893-1945), was a politician German , and a resistance fighter against the Third Reich .
- Erwin Planck , former Undersecretary of State (son of the physicist Max Planck ).
- Karl Georg Pfleiderer , (1899-1957), was a politician German of the FDP / DVP and diplomat .
- Kurt von Plettenberg , (1891-1945), plenipotentiary of the former Royal House of Prussia ; He committed suicide during his detention by the Gestapo .
- Louis Ferdinand von Preußen , (1907-1994), was the pretender of the defeated monarchy of Germany . During his life he opposed the German National Socialist Party , he was a businessman and a patron of the arts .
- Dr. Johannes Popitz , (1884-1945), Prussian Minister of Finance; dies executed on 2 February as as 1945 .
- Paul von Hase (24 of July of 1885, 8 of August of 1944), hanged.
- Colonel Ritter Albrecht Mertz von Quirnheim ( 1905 – 1944 ), executed on the orders of Colonel General Friedrich Fromm , 20 as July as 1944 .
- Cuno Raabe , lawyer ( 1888 – 1971 ).
- General Friedrich von Rabenau .
- Lieutenant Colonel ( Staff ) Karl Ernst Rahtgens (1908-30 August 1944, Plötzensee Prison)
- Professor Adolf Reichwein , a leading Social Democrat .
- Colonel Alexis Freiherr von Roenne .
- General Field Marshal Erwin Rommel ( 1891 – 1944 ); He was allowed to commit suicide, 14 of October of 1944 , and was surrendered to state funerals.
- Karl Sack , Auditor General of the Army ( 1896 – 1945 ).
- Lieutenant Colonel ( Staff ) Joachim Sadrozinski .
- Anton Saefkow , mechanical engineer .
- Major Hans-Viktor Graf von Salviati .
- Lieutenant Fabian von Schlabrendorff , after the war is a member of the Federal Constitutional Court ( 1907 – 1980 ).
- Professor Rüdiger Schleicher , executed by the Gestapo on April 22, 1945
- Ernst Wilhelm Schneppenhorst , former union leader .
- Friedrich-Babisch Scholz , farmer .
- Colonel Hermann Schöne .
- Lieutenant Colonel Werner Schrader .
- Friedrich-Werner Graf von der Schulenburg , (1875-1944), former ambassador of Moscow . Executed the 10 of November of 1944 .
- Fritz-Dietlof Graf von der Schulenburg , district president. Hanged the 10 of August of 1944 .
- Colonel ( Staff ) Georg Schultze-Büttger .
- Ludwig Schwamb , Democrat social leader .
- Ulrich Wilhelm Graf Schwerin von Schwanenfeld , landowner , condemned to hang and executed.
- Hans-Ludwig Sierks , the local government building.
- Lieutenant Colonel ( Staff ) Günther Smend .
- Franz Sperr , (1878-1945), former minister of Bavaria in Berlin .
- General Hans Speidel , chief of staff of Erwin Rommel , later commander of the NATO of ground forces ( 1897 – 1984 ).
- Colonel Wilhelm Staehle .
- Berthold Schenk Graf von Stauffenberg ( 1905 – 1944 ), lawyer and brother of Colonel Claus von Stauffenberg , hanged on October as August as 1944 .
- Colonel ( Staff ), Claus Schenk Graf von Stauffenberg ( 1907 – 1944 ), shot in Bendlerblock .
- Colonel ( Staff ), Hans-Joachim Freiherr von Steinaecker .
- Major General Helmuth Stieff .
- Theodor Strünck , director of insurance .
- Colonel General Carl-Heinrich von Stülpnagel ( 1886 – 1944 ).
- Carl Szokoll .
- Lieutenant Colonel Gustav Tellgmann .
- Elisabeth von Thadden , director of a school.
- Lieutenant General Fritz Thiele .
- Busso Thoma .
- General Carl Freiherr von Thüngen .
- General Henning von Tresckow ( 1901 – 1944 ).
- Adam von Trott zu Solz .
- Colonel ( R ) Graf Nikolaus von Uexküll
- Fritz Voigt , former president of the Police of Breslau .
- Lieutenant Colonel Hans-Alexander von Voss .
- General of Army Supplies Eduard Wagner .
- Colonel Siegfried Wagner .
- Chaplain Hermann Wehrle .
- Carl Wenzen-Teutschenthal , farmer .
- Josef Wirmer , lawyer , designer of the Wirmer flag .
- Oswald Wiersich , labor union leader.
- General Field Marshal Erwin von Witzleben (1881-1944), was sentenced to death and naked hanged with a piano string that same day, in the Prison of Berlin -Plötzensee.
- Paul Yorck von Wartenburg , Count , Senior Government Adviser.
- Peter Graf Yorck von Wartenburg , an official of the ministry .
- Arthur Zarden .
- General Gustav von Ziehlberg , Secretary of State .
- ↑ Jump to:a b c d Shirer, William Lawrence (1960). The rise and fall of the Third Reich; A history of Nazi Germany ( The rise and fall of the Third Reich, a story of Nazi Germany ) . Digital General Collection: Simon & Schuster. P. 1393. ISBN 978-0-671-72868-7 .
- Back to top↑ Shirer, p. 1391.
- Back to top↑ Shirer, p. 1385-87.
- Back to top↑ Shirer, p. 1329.
- Back to top↑ Shirer, p. 1333.
- Back to top↑ Shirer, p. 1394.
- Back to top↑ Shirer, p. 1392.