John Hardwig is an American philosopher who teaches at the University of Tennessee
John Hardwig is an American philosopher with a Ph.D. from the University of Texas . Hardwig has published numerous articles, including bioethics , the end-of-life issue, the notion of epistemic dependence and the role of experts . He is Professor Emeritus of the University of Tennessee .
In his writings, John Hardwig calls for the learning of an “art of dying”, 1 which he believed would become necessary at a time when death occurs more often than too late – a phenomenon known as Fourth phase of the epidemiological transition 2 . He argues , therefore , that there are cases in which there is a “right to die” 3 , 4 especially when prolonging life imposes too heavy sacrifices on relatives. His arguments have influenced contemporary philosophers such as Norvin Richards .
- Is There a Duty to Die ?: Other Essays in Bioethics , Routledge, 2000
- “The Stockholder: A Lesson for Business Ethics from Bioethics?” Journal of Business Ethics (2010) 91 (3): 329-41
- “Hastings Center Report (2009) 39 (4): 37-45” Going to Meet Death-The Art of Dying in the 21st Century “
- “Families and Futility: Forestalling Demands for Treatment” Journal of Clinical Ethics (2005) 16 (4): 328-337
- “Using the Family Covenant in End-of-Life Care Planning” with David Doukas, Journal of the American Geriatric Society (2003) 51 (8): 1155-1158
- “Spiritual Issues at the End of Life: A Call for Discussion” Hastings Center Report (2000) 30 (2): 28-30
- “The Ethics of Expertise”, in Wueste, Daniel E., ed., 1994 Professional Ethics and Social Responsibility,
- “Is There a Duty to Die?” Hastings Center Report (1997) 27 (2): 34-42
- “The Role of Trust in Knowledge” Journal of Philosophy (1991) 88: 693-708
Most of its publications are available on its website 5 .
Notes and references
- ↑ Hardwign, John, “Going to Meet Death-The Art of Dying in the 21st Century” Hastings Center Report (2009) 39 (4): 37-45
- ↑ SJ AB Olshansky and Ault, “The Fourth Stage of the Epidemiological Transition: The Age of Delayed Degenerative Diseases,” Milbank Memorial Fund Quarterly Health and Society 64 (1986): 355-91.
- ↑ “Is There a Duty to Die?” Hastings Center Report (1997) 27 (2): 34-42
- ↑ http://www.bbc.co.uk/ethics/euthanasia/overview/duty.shtml [ archive ]
- ↑ John Hardwig’s website [ archive ]