Ilias Kasidiaris ( Greek : Ηλίας Κασιδιάρης; Piraeus , 29 November 1980) is a Greek politician, deputy spokesman for the nationalist party Golden Dawn in Parliament and close collaborator of Nikolaos Michaloliakos . He was a pretrial prisoner accused of illegal possession of weapons of war to foment armed groups between 2014 and 2015.
He was born on November 29, 1980 in the great city of Piraeus. He is the son of a doctor and a philologist, and he has a brother. From a young age he was fond of sport (especially martial arts and gymnastics), dancing (especially tango), writing and history. He graduated in food chemistry from the Agricultural University of Athens . He served in the Special Forces of Greece during his military service . Its current address is in Drafi, an eco-bar located on the outskirts of Athens . In 2008 he published a novel called Sector X .
In the parliamentary elections of May of 2012 was elect deputy of the Council of the Helenos, being in this position at the moment. In 2014 he was a candidate for mayor of Athens , reaching the third place with 16.12% of the votes.
Controversies and other notable political events
Aggression to Kanelli
His most important political activity happened on June 7, 2012, when – in a televised live debate – Kasidiaris physically assaulted two women. First Kasidiaris, in response to a verbal disagreement, threw a glass of water at the Rena Dourou policy (of the left-wing political party Syriza ). At that moment, communist policy Liana Kanelli hit him with a newspaper, 1 after which Kasidiaris slapped her three times. 2 Paradoxically, this incident increased the fame of Kasidiaris. 3The prosecution issued a search warrant against Kasidiaris, who, after being reduced on the set and locked up in an annexed room, managed to flee the place and was found for several days at an unknown location (Kasidiaris did not enjoy immunity since the Parliament). The leader of Dawn Dorado, Nikolaos Michaloliakos , defended the action of Kasidiaris. 4
It was debated by the press whether Kasidiaris had been good or bad and was widely applauded online. 5 In March of 2015 Kasidiaris attended the court to face serious personal injury charges. Giorgos Papadakis, a presenter and journalist who witnessed the assault, said threats were also made to the television crew and other employees. 6
Political analyst Theodore Couloumbis told Reuters that the image of a young man beating a woman could cost him the Golden Dawn vows, especially among women, although other experts thought that violence images could play in his favor – a page Facebook dedicated to Kasidiaris collected 6000 I like in 24 hours-. 7
Shortly after the incident, Kasidiaris sued Kanelli and Dorou, suing them for being insulted. Referring to Fig.
Kasidiaris quoted a passage from The Protocols of the Sages of Zion on 23 October 2012 during a speech in parliament during the debate over whether to lift his parliamentary immunity after the assault on Kanelli; Quoted the passage: “In order to destroy the prestige of heroism we will send them to be judged in the category of robbery, murder and all kinds of abominable and disgusting crime.” 9 Finally, Kasidiaris and two other deputies of Amanecer Dorado were lifted their immunities with a unanimous vote of the Parliament. 10
In March 2013, Kasidiaris met with 500 Golden Dawn supporters on the Mega television channel to protest the broadcast of a Turkish series on Greece’s Independence Day. Kasidiaris and other deputies of Golden Dawn threw eggs and yogurt into the building and burned a Turkish flag. eleven
Ilias Kasidiaris openly denies the Jewish Holocaust. 12
As part of the judicial proceedings against Amanecer Dorado after the murder of Pavlos Fyssas , on September 17, 2013 Kasidiaris and several other members of his party were arrested on charges of belonging to a criminal organization. 13 The charge sheet includes murder, extortion, and participation in the disappearance of up to 100 immigrants. 14 He was released on October 2 of that year after paying a bond of € 50,000. fifteen
Kasiduaris was again imprisoned on July 10, 2014, accused of carrying weapons to foment a criminal organization. 16 He was released on July 1, 2015, after the judges of the appeals court considered that the “legal weight” of the crime was not sufficient to justify his detention, but he must report regularly to the police and is prohibited from visiting the offices of Golden sunrise. 17
On April 2, 2014, Takis Baltakos, chief of staff of Antonis Samarás , was videotaped secretly by Kasidiaris in the context of a conversation between the two, where they discussed the imprisonment of the Golden Dawn MPs. 18 Baltakos accused Samaras of instigating a judicial investigation against Golden Dawn for political gain, linking Justice Minister Charalampos Athanasiou and Citizens Protection Minister Nikos Dendias. After the video was broadcast, Baltakos was forced to resign, 19 but later revealed that New Democracy ( Samaras party) and Golden Dawn have an informal alliance, with parliamentary vote support. 20 That same week Parliament (despite the huge uproar caused by the video) voted to lift the parliamentary immunity of five deputies of Golden Dawn. 21 Preventive detentions and house arrests were the most significant process of its kind since the military coup of 1967 . 22
Due to the broadcast of the video, Kasidiaris had to face a trial, being accused of having violated the data protection law. 23 In October of 2015 he was acquitted. 24
In March 2013, Kasidiaris was declared innocent of all charges relating to an armed robbery against a university professor perpetrated in 2007 in which he was allegedly involved, 25 26 due to lack of evidence against him. 27 28
Incident in Parliament
On 15 July 2015, during the debate in the Greek Parliament on the approval of several bills that were the precursor of negotiations to receive a third rescue, Kasidiaris’ images, breaking and then throwing papers during a passionate speech, world. 29
Kasidiaris carries a fretwork tattooed on his arm, 30 widely reported as a swastika . 31
On April 20, 2011 he described Adolf Hitler as a “key figure in the history of the 20th century” and National Socialism as a “movement of renewal” in an article for the publication of his party. 32
In another article, he praised the Colonel’s Dictatorship . 33
- Golden Dawn .
- Nikolaos Michaloliakos
The text was adapted from an article in Metapedia , modified to be neutral.
- Back to top↑ Greek New Dawn’s Ilias Kasidiaris sues women over TV row , BBC News , June 11, 2012
- Back to top↑ «Greek far-right Golden Dawn Mp slaps another member in LIVE Tv» , video with English subtitles when Kasidiaris attacks two women on television.
- Back to top↑ «Greece, seduced by Golden Dawn».
- Back to top↑ “Griechischer Neonazi zeigt seine Opfer an” (in German) . Süddeutsche Zeitung . June 11, 2012 . Retrieved on January 17, 2016 .
- Back to top↑ http://www.gq.com/story/fall-of-greece-gq-december-2012
- Back to top↑ Kasidiaris on trial for assaulting KKE MP Liana Kanelli (in English)
- Back to top↑ Savaricas, Nathalie (June 9, 2012). «Anti-fascist fury in Athens after far-right MP hit rival» . The Independent .
- Back to top↑ «Greek neo-Nazi deputy author of aggression sues against its victims» . The Third . June 11, 2012 . Accessed February 29, 2016 .
- Back to top↑ « ‘ Protocols of the Elders of Zion’ read aloud in Greek parliament ‘ (in English) . Times of Israel. October 26, 2012.
- Back to top↑ “Greek Parliament lifts immunity of 3 far-right Lawmakers’ (in English) . The Washington Post . October 24, 2012. Incorrect use of broken link template ( broken link available on Internet Archive , see history and latest version ).
- Back to top↑ “Members of Golden Dawn Attack Mega TV (video)” (in English) . Greek Reporter. March 26, 2013 . Retrieved on January 17, 2016 .
- Back to top↑ «Member of Golden Dawn denies the Holocaust» , article on website Es.jn1.tv
- Back to top↑ EurActiv.com. «Greek justice hits neo-Nazi ‘Golden Dawn’» .
- Back to top↑ Channel 4 News. «Swastikas but no faces please – Golden Dawn in crisis» .
- Back to top↑ http://web.archive.org/web/http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=228369706
- Back to top↑ «Προφυλακιστέος ο Ηλίας Κασιδιάρης» . Εφημερίδα των Συντακτών . July 10, 2014.
- Back to top↑ http://www.ekathimerini.com/198797/article/ekathimerini/news/golden-dawn-spokesman-kasidiaris-released-from-custody
- Back to top↑ «Video on Youtube (subtitled in Spanish)» . Retrieved on October 13, 2015 .
- Back to top↑ «The chief of cabinet of Samarás resigns after filtering a compromising conversation with a neo-Nazi leader» . April 2, 2014 . Accessed January 11, 2016 .
- Back to top↑ http://www.enetenglish.gr/?i=news.en.article&id=2057
- Back to top↑ http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/apr/03/greece-antonis-samaras-golden-dawn-takis-baltakos
- Back to top↑ «From prison, Greece’s Golden Dawn runs quiet but vitriolic campaign» . Reuters . January 23, 2015.
- Back to top↑ «Greek prosecutor investigates a video between an adviser of Samaras and a neo-Nazi leader of Golden Dawn . The World . April 3, 2014 . Accessed February 19, 2016 .
- Back to top↑ «Appeal Court absolves Kasidiaris for Baltakos scandal» . October 9, 2015 . Accessed February 19, 2016 .
- Back to top↑ «Αναβλήθηκε για τη Δευτέρα η δίκη του Ηλία Κασιδιάρη» .
- Back to top↑ Howden, Daniel (8 May 2012). «Nikos Michaloliakos: The far-right firebrand who holds Europe’s future in his hands» . The Independent (London).
- Back to top↑ «ώρώτο ΜΑΕΜΑ online: Αθωώθηκε ο Κασιδιάρης και προκαλεί – Πολιτική» . Protothema.gr.
- Back to top↑ «Greece: Golden Dawn’s Ilias Kasidiaris acquitted in court» . Digitaljournal.com. March 7, 2013.
- Back to top↑ «Golden Dawn MP furiously tears up papers in Parliament over bailout deal» . The Telegraph (in English) . July 15, 2015
- Back to top↑ «From prison, Greece’s Golden Dawn runs quiet but vitriolic campaign» . Reuters. January 23, 2015.
- Back to top↑ http://www.elmundo.es/elmundo/2013/08/06/internacional/1375786954.html
- Back to top↑ «Neonazis im griechischen Parlament» (in German) . Retrieved on January 17, 2016 .
- Back to top↑ «Griechischer Neonazi: Nahkampfexperte, Waffen-SS-Fan,” Intellektueller ” » (in German) . Die Welt . June 10, 2012 . Retrieved on January 17, 2016 .