Il Rosa Nudo (Naked Rose) is a 2013 film written and directed by Giovanni Coda . The film has been filmed at Quartu Sant’Elena and Siliqua in Sardinia , Italy, and has been presented and projected at the 2013 national premiere of the Torino GLBT Film Festival – Da Sodoma to Hollywood .
The film has been selected as a special event “for its high artistic, historical and moral value”, in the seventh edition of the Queer Lion of the 70th Venice Film Festival 2013. 1
Il Rosa Nudo (Naked Rose) is an experimental film inspired by the life of Pierre Seel . The film focuses on an episode of Pierre Seel ‘s biography , which will mark its entire existence. Arrested by the Nazis at the age of 17, and accused of homosexuality, he was interned in several concentration camps. Deported to Schirmeck’s camp he was tortured, raped, and forced to watch impotently the atrocious death of his sentimental partner. After his release he spoke to no one about his ordeal. He married and had three children.
In 1982, outraged by the violent attacks against the Gais by the bishop of Strasbourg, he decided to write his autobiography and denounce the atrocities suffered.
The film recalls the testimony of other victims about the Nazi persecution against homosexuals and pseudo-scientific experiments to which many of them were subjected by SS physician Carl Vaernet . 2
Official prizes and selections
- Gold Jury Prize in the feature film category of the Seattle Social Justice Film Festival 2013 (Washington, USA).
- Special event “for its high artistic, historical and moral value”, in the seventh edition of the Queer Lion of the 70th Venice Film Festival 2013.
- Official Selection of the Torino GLBT Film Festival 2013.
- Official Selection of the Florence Queer Festival 2013.
- Official Selection of the Festival of the Cinema dei Diritti Umani di Napoli 2013.
- Official Selection of the Macon Film Festival (Georgia – USA) 2014. Nominated in the categories Best Narrative Feature, Best Directing, Best Acting, Best Editing.
- Official Selection of Athens International Film + Video Festival 2014 , Athens, Ohio, USA.
- Film For Peace Award from Gothenburg Indie Film Fest 2014 , Gothenburg, Sweden.
- Official Selection of KASHIS Mumbai International Queer Film Festival 2014 , Mumbai, India.
- Official Selection of the 28th Festival Mix , Milano.
- Candidate for the official selection in the category “Opera Prima” for the David di Donatello Award of the Italian Film Academy for the year 2013-2014.
- Candidate for the official selection for the Ciak d’Oro 2014 Award .
- Best International Film Award for the 15th Melbourne Underground Film Festival (MUFF) 2014, Australia.
- Accolade Competition 2014 Award of Excellence .
- Official Selection of the Perlen Film Festival Hannover 2014, Germany.
- Gold Award from Documentary & Short International Movie Award 2014, Jakarta, Indonesia.
- Bronze Plaque Award from the Columbus International Film & Video Festival 2014, USA.
- Diamond Award from the International Film and Photography Festival (IFPF) 2014, Jakarta, Indonesia.
- Official Selection CLIFF – Castlemaine Local and International Film Festival 2014, Australia.
- Official Selection Salento LGBT Film Fest 2014, Lecce, Italy.
- Award Best Feature Film of Omovies Film Fest 2014, Naples, Italy.
- Bronze Palm Award Narrative Feature of the Mexico International Film Festival 2015, Mexico.
- Back to top↑ Event Speciale Il Rosa Nudo di Giovanni Coda alla 70ma Film Festival of Venice IMG Press (accessed 26-08-2013);
- Back to top↑ Carl Vaernet he conducted a study on a preparation of the invention, based on hormones, for homosexual prisoners. Eighty percent of inmates who were subjected to the experiment, which aimed to “cure” homosexuality with injections based on large doses of testosterone, died.
- Il Rosa Nudo , La Repubblica.it -TrovaCinema (accessed 19-06-2013) ;
- When I deportati erano omosessuali , Artribune (consulted 19-06-2013) ;
- Vincenzo Patanè, Il Rosa Nudo , “Pride” No. 167, 01-06-2013 (accessed 30-06-2013) ;
- Il Rosa Nudo , Corriere della Sera.it CinemaTv (accessed 19-06-2013) ;
- Il Rosa Nudo , FilmTv.it (accessed 19-06-2013) ;
- Il Rosa Nudo , CinemaGay.it (accessed 19-06-2013) ;
- Celestino Tabasso, Liberi tutti, ma non Pierre. Coda racconta the gay Shoah , L’Unione Sarda , 08-06-2013 (accessed 08-06-2013) ;
- Massimiliano Messina, I nazisti and the paura folle of diverse , Sardegna Quotidiano , 06/08/2013 (accessed 06.08.2013) ;
- “Il Rosa Nudo” by Giovanni Coda vince at the Social Justice Film Festival of Seattle , cinemaitaliano.info (consulted 18-11-2013) ;
- Il Rosa Nudo: per memoria dell’ocaocausto. Sulle orme di Pierre Seel . In Andrea Minuz and Guido Vitiello (Ed.), La Shoah nel cinema italiano , pp. 196-198. Soveria Mannelli: Rubbettino. ISBN 978-88-498-3871-8 ;
- Film Italiani in concorso 2013-2014: Il Rosa Nudo. , Daviddidonatello.it (accessed 30-06-2014) ;
- Ciak d’Oro 2014. I film italiani , Ciak N.5, 05-05-2014, pg. 93 (accessed 30-06-2014) ;
- Margherita Angelucci, Quello sterminio dimenticato. Il logista sardo Giovanni Coda all’Underground Film Festival with the pellicola Il Rosa Nudo , Il Globo, Melbourne 08-09-2014 (consulted 08-09-2014) ;
- Joey Paradox, The Pink Naked , “VEXXD Art & Culture Magazine” (accessed 29-11-2014) ;