Heini Halberstam (11 September 1926 1 – 25 January 2014) was a British mathematician , working in the field of analytical number theory . 2 He is one of the two mathematicians from which the Elliott-Halberstam conjecture was named. 3
He was born in Most, Czechoslovakia and died in Champaign, Illinois, USA. His father died when he was very young. After the annexation of Adolf Hitler the Sudetenland, he and his mother moved to Prague . At twelve, when the occupation nazi progressed, he was one of the 669 children saved by Sir Nicholas Winton , who organized the Kindertransport , a train that left those children out of Nazi – occupied territory. He was sent to England, where he lived during World War II . 4
He obtained his PhD in 1952, by University College, London, with the supervision of Theodor Estermann. 5 From 1962 to 1964, Halberstam was Professor of Erasmus Smith of Mathematics at Trinity Dublin University ( University of Dublin ); From 1964 to 1980, he was professor of mathematics at Nottingham University. 6 In 1980, he took a position at the University of Illinois, Urbana Champaign (UIUC) and became emeritus professor at UIUC in 1996. In 2012, he became a member of the American Mathematical Society . 7
He is also known for books, with Klaus Roth in combinatorial number theory , and with HE Richert with sieve theory . 8 9 10
- With Hans-Egon Richert : Sieve Methods. Academic Press 1974
- With Klaus Friedrich Roth : Sequences. Oxford 1966, Springer 1983
- With Harold Diamond, and William Galway: A higher dimensional sieve method. Cambridge University Press 2008
- Back to top↑ [Doreen Halberstam, wife]
- Back to top↑ Heini Halberstam, obituary , News-Gazette , 2014-01-27. Viewed 27 January 2014
- Back to top↑ Elliot, PDTA; Halberstam, H. (1970), “A conjecture in prime number theory”, Symposia mathematica. Convegni of Dicembre of 1968 and of March of 1969 (Istituto Nazionale di Alta Matematica Rome) 4 : 59-72
- Back to top↑ Champaign Resident Remembers the Kindertransport , WILL , April 19, 2012
- Back to top↑ Heini Halberstam
- Back to top↑ BSHM Gazetteer @ – D
- Back to top↑ List of Partners of the American Mathematical Society
- Back to top↑ Stark, HM (1971). «Review: Introduction to analytic number theory , by K. Chandrasekharan; Arithmetical functions , by K. Chandrasekharan; Multiplicative number theory , by Harold Davenport; Sequences , by H. Halberstam and KF Roth “ . Bull. Amer. Math. Soc. 77 (6): 943-957. doi : 10.1090 / S0002-9904-1971-12812-4 .
- Back to top↑ Sieve Methods . London: Academic Press. 1974. ISBN 0-12-318250-6 .
- Back to top↑ Montgomery, HL (1976). «Review: Sieve methods , × HH Halberstam and H.-E. Richert . ” Bull. Amer. Math. Soc. 82 (6): 846-853. doi : 10.1090 / s0002-9904-1976-14180-8 .