Defiance – in Spain, Resistance – is a war film released in 2008, directed by Edward Zwick . It is set in the western part of the Soviet Socialist Republic of Belarus occupied by the Nazis, the forests of Belarus .
The film is based on an actual event in Poland in 1941 .
After the invasion of Poland, many Poles and Jews were persecuted by the Nazi regime, especially the Einsatzgruppen detachments , so the few survivors were forced to flee their homes and villages to hide for years trying to save their life, Thus creating the clan of the partisans of Bielski led by Tuvia Bielski .
After fleeing from Poland , they took refuge in the forests of Belarus , where they met with part of the Soviet resistance that fought against the Nazi army. Although the Otriad Bielski was at first a small band that was dedicated to the pillage and the skirmishes, in a little time they were more numerous, partly by the rapid increase of the popularity of the Otriad.
But tensions soon arose. Zus, Tuvia’s brother and co-leader of the Otriad, disagreed with his brother’s tactics, and together with nearly half of the Otriad fighters he passed on to the Soviet partisans to fight the Germans. Problems began to emerge because clandestine anti-Semitism was present in the partisan chiefs, while the Otriad of Tuvia continued to face German raids, diseases such as typhus and extreme cold. Even so, they managed to survive barely.
One day, the Germans decided to end the Otriad once, so the camp was bombed by German Stukas . The Jews were forced to flee from the forests to the marshes, where they had to face even tanks and regular infantry, although they were lightly armed. When a Panzer III tank was about to kill Tuvia, Zus appears with the other Jewish fighters, who destroy the tank and finally meet again to continue their exodus.
- Daniel Craig is Tuvia Bielski
- Liev Schreiber is Alexander Zeisal Bielski
- Jamie Bell is Asael Bielski
- George MacKay is Aron Bielski
- Alexa Davalos is Lilka Ticktin
- Allan Corduner is Shimon Haretz
- Mark Feuerstein is Isaac Malbin
- Tomas Arana is Ben Zion Gulkowitz
- Jacek Koman is Konstanty “Kościk” Kozłowski
- Mia Wasikowska is Chaya Dziencielsky
- Iben Hjejle is Bella
- Jodhi May is Tamara Skidelski
- Kate Fahy is Riva Reich
- Iddo Goldberg is Yitzhak Shulman
- Sam Spruell is Arkady Lubczanski
- Ravil Isyanov is Viktor Panchenko
- Rolandas Boravskis es Gramov
- The story depicting the film is inspired by the book by Nechama Tec , The Bielski partisian .
- Resistencia was released on December 12, 2008 in the USA. UU. In Spain it was released in early 2009, in Colombia at the end of 2009 and in Morocco in September 2009.
Awards and nominations
Resistencia was nominated for the 2009 Oscars as the best original soundtrack and was also nominated for Golden Globes as Best Original Score in the same year.