Bluebird ( Blue Bird ) is a program of mind control of the CIA in January conducted between 1951 and 1953 that was seeking to brainwash detained and inculcate new values and ideas. During this period the CIA authorized licensed psychiatrists to conduct experiments, including: creating new identities, inducing amnesia , creating multiple personalities and creating false memories.
Most of the experiments were conducted in psychiatric clinics in Canada by Dr. Ewen Cameron , 2 3 4 5 6 who performed the experiments in hospital patients.
- Back to top↑ Final Report. Book 1, Foreign and Military Intelligence. Senate Select Committee to Study Government Operations with Respect to Intelligence Activities, 94th Congress, 2nd Session, 26 April 1976, Special Report No. 94-755 (Better known as the Church Committee Report). See Book 1, p. 406. For instructions on how to order this document from the National Archives
- Back to top↑ Estabrooks, GH Hypnosis comes of age. Science Digest, 44-50, April 1971
- Back to top↑ Gillmor, D. I Swear By Apollo. Dr. Ewen Cameron and the CIA-Brainwashing Experiments. Montreal: Eden Press, 1987.
- Back to top↑ Scheflin, AW, & Opton, EM The Mind manipulators. New York: Paddington Press, 1978.
- Back to top↑ Thomas, G. Journey into Madness. The Secret Story of Secret CIA Mind Control and Medical Abuse. New York: Bantam, 1989 (paperback 1990).
- Back to top↑ Weinstein, H. Psychiatry and the CIA: Victims of Mind Control. Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Press, 1990.