Angela Hitler

Angela Hammitzsch Johanna Franziska (nee Hitler , 28 of July of 1883 – 30 of October of 1949 ), originally married to Leo Raubal, Sr., was the older half sister of Adolf Hitler .

Biography

Angela Hitler was born in Braunau am Inn , Austria-Hungary , as the second son of Alois Hitler and his second wife, Franziska Matzelsberger. His mother died the following year. She and her brother Alois Hitler, Jr. were raised by their father and his third wife Klara Pölzl . Her half-brother Adolf Hitler was born six years after her, and they were very close. She is the only one of her brothers to be mentioned in Mein Kampf .

Angela’s father died in 1903 and his stepmother died in 1907, leaving a small inheritance. On September 14, 1903 1 2 married Leo Raubal (June 11, 1879 – AUGUST 10 of 1910), a tax inspector, and gave birth to a son, Leo , on October 12, 1906. On June 4 Of 1908 Angela gave birth to Geli Raubal and in 1910 to a second daughter, Elfriede (Elfriede Maria Hochegger, January 10, 1910 – September 24, 1993).

According to the OSS profile of the Hitler family, Angela moved to Vienna and after World War I became manager of the Mensa Jewish Academy, a guest house for Jewish students, where she once defended those Under his care against anti- Semites that caused uproar.

Angela had not heard anything from Adolf for a decade, until she reestablished contact with her in 1919. In 1924 Adolf was confined to Landsberg , and Angela made the trip from Vienna to visit him. In 1928, she and her daughter Geli moved to the Berghof in Obersalzberg , near Berchtesgaden , where she became their housekeeper and later was placed in charge of the house in the extended retreat of Hitler. Geli committed suicide in 1931.

Meanwhile, Angela strongly disapproved of Hitler’s relationship with Eva Braun ; 3 she finally left Berchtesgaden as a result and moved to Dresden . Hitler broke off relations with Angela and did not attend his second marriage. On January 20, 1936, he married a German Jewish architect, Professor Martin Hammitzsch (May 22, 1878 – May 12, 1945), who designed the famous Yenidze cigarette factory in Dresden and later became In the Director of the State Superior School of Building of Dresden. It seems, however, that Hitler reconnected with her during World War II , because Angela remained her intermediary to the rest of the family with whom he did not want to have contact. In 1941, he sold his memoirs of his years with Hitler to publisher Eher Verlag, thanks to which he received 20,000 Reichsmark .

In the spring of 1945 – after the destruction of Dresden in the Bombardment of Dresden – Adolf Hitler moved Angela to Berchtesgaden to prevent her being captured by the Soviets. She and her younger sister Paula also lent more than 100,000 Reichsmark. In his will, Hitler guaranteed Angela a pension of 1,000 Reichsmark per month. It is not known if he ever received any kind of payment. However, she later spoke very well of him, even after the war, and stated that neither her brother nor herself had known anything about the Holocaust . She stated that if Adolf had known what was happening in the concentration camps, he would have stopped them.

His son Leo had a son, Peter (born 1931), a retired engineer who lives in Linz, Austria. Angela’s daughter Elfriede, married to the German lawyer Dr. Ernst Hochegger on June 27, 1937 in Düsseldorf, had a son, Heiner Hochegger (born January 1945).

Angela died of a stroke on October 30, 1949 in the city of Hanover . 4

Representations

In the 2003 miniseries Hitler: The reign of evil , Angela is played by Julie-Ann Hassett.

References

  1. Back to top↑ Hauner, Milan (1983). Hitler: a chronology of his life and time . London: Macmillan. ISBN  0-333-30983-9 .
  2. Back to top↑ Zdral, Wolfgang . Die Hitlers . Campus Verlag GmbH. P. 104. ISBN  3-593-37457-9 .
  3. Back to top↑ Fritz Redlich, Hitler: Diagnosis of a Destructive Prophet , Oxford University Press, New York, 1999, p.10
  4. Back to top↑ Mitchell, Arthur, Hitler’s Mountain: The Fuhrer, Obersalzberg and the American Occupation of Berchtesgaden , McFarland, 2007 p.154.