The World Congress of Families (WCF) is an American organization that promotes conservative values and Christian ideas internationally . 1 It opposes gay marriage , pornography and abortion , while supporting a society built on “the voluntary union of a man and a woman for life in the marriage alliance.” 2 3 4 5 The WCF includes organizations from several countries and most of its members are very active advocates of positions pro and Christian views on gay marriage who oppose its existence. 6 The WCF was founded in 1997 and regularly organizes “major international conventions for the family”. 7
Their opposition to gay marriage and abortion has drawn strong criticism , 8 and the organization has been added to the list of organizations called “anti-gay hate groups” of the Southern Poverty Law Center in February 2014 for its involvement in the law Russian anti-homosexual propaganda in 2013 and its international opposition to LGBT rights . 9 10 11 12
- Back to top↑ Doris Buss; Didi Herman (2003). Globalizing Family Values: The Christian Right in International Politics . University of Minnesota Press.
- Back to top↑ «American Conservatives Organize Social-Issues Conference in Poland» . Fox News / Associated Press. May 10, 2007 . Accessed August 31, 2014 . “The chief organizer is a Rockford, Illinois-based conservative think tank, the Howard Center. Co-sponsors include more than 20 other US groups allied in opposition to abortion, gay marriage and other policies they blame for weakening traditional families in Western Europe. ” See also DAVID CRARY (March 25, 2014). «US Conservatives Suspend Plans for Moscow Meeting» . Associated Press. “A US-based conservative group that supports Russia’s efforts to curtail gay rights and abortion is suspending its plans for an international conference in Moscow.”
- Back to top↑ World Congress of Families “The World Congress of Families (WCF) affirms and defends the natural family as the fundamental unit of civilizations.
- Back to top↑ Davidson, Kevin. ‘Kevin Andrews’ will not attend ‘strengthening the family’ conference which links to the controversial Christian group . The Guardian . Accessed August 29, 2014 . “The World Congress of Families is the global conservative Christian organization which was scheduled to hold a controversial regional event in Melbourne this weekend.”
- Back to top↑ Kyle Mantyla (June 8, 2008). «The World Congress of Families Chooses Its Destination» . Right Wing Watch . People for the American Way . Accessed August 31, 2014 .
- Back to top↑ Di Stefano, Mark. «World Congress Of Families Throws Support Behind Anti-Gay Marriage Summit In Australian Parliament» . Buzzfeed . Accessed August 29, 2014 .
- Back to top↑ «HRC report examines World Congress of Families ‘anti-gay influence, extremism’ . LGBTQ Nation . Accessed August 29, 2014 .
- Return to top↑ See for example this list of articles from Catholics for Choice : “Reports on Meetings Held by the World Congress of Families” . CatholicsforChoice.org . Catholics for Choice . Accessed August 30, 2014 .
- Back to top↑ «World Congress of Families Suspends Russia Conference» . Splcenter.org . Southern Poverty Law Center . Accessed August 29, 2014 .
- Back to top↑ «SPLC Adds Seven New Organizations to Anti-Gay Hate Group List22» . Truthwinsout.org . Truth Wins Out . Accessed August 29, 2014 .
- Back to top↑ Michaelson, Jay. «The Kremlin’s Favorite Anti-Gay Hate Group is Coming to Utah» . The Daily Beast . Accessed August 29, 2014 .
- Back to top↑ «World Congress of Families Suspends Russia Conference» . Southern Poverty Law Center . Consulted on September 1, 2014 .