Tyler Clementi ( Ridgewood , December 19, 1991- New York , September 22, 2010) was a student of eighteen years of Rutgers University in Piscataway Township , New Jersey , who committed suicide by jumping from the bridge George Washington the September 22, 2010. This happened after a kiss with a man in his bedroom, which was recorded and broadcast on the Internet without his knowledge. His roommate Dharun Ravi filmed the video with Molly Wei; A second unsuccessful recording attempt was also made. 1 For this, Ravi and Wei received the accusation of violating the right to privacy. 2
Background and incidents
Clementi was born in Ridgewood, New Jersey. He graduated from Ridgewood High School and was a talented violinist, who participated in the Bergen Youth Orchestra as concertmaster and the Ridgewood Symphony Orchestra. 3
Clementi had complained to his nursing assistant 4 and two other officials that his roommate had spied and recorded his sex life using a webcam.
He wrote multiple messages where he indicated that he did not want to share the room with Ravi. He claimed to have approached the nursing assistant and asked for a new room after learning of the first violation of his privacy.
Ravi published the sexual relationship on Twitter and then invited his followers to see a sexual encounter for the second time. “The nursing assistant seemed to take it seriously,” Clementi wrote in a post about 15 hours before his jump from the George Washington Bridge. Clementi’s wallet was found on Sept. 22 on the sidewalk along the George Washington Bridge in New York after witnesses said they saw someone jump. His car, cell phone and computer were found near the bridge. Police recovered a body on September 29 on the Hudson River, just north of the bridge. It was confirmed the next day that the recovered body was that of Clementi. 5
Chronology of events
- September 19 Ravi (in Wei’s room) secretly records the sexual relationship and publishes it on Twitter. 6
- September 21 Ravi records Clementi a second time and invites his internet contacts to watch the video sequence. 6
- September 22 Clementi jumps from the George Washington Bridge and dies. 5
- September 27 Wei surrenders to the police and admits responsibility. 7
- September 28 Ravi is handed over to the police and released on bail. Wei and Ravi are charged with criminal offenses. 7
- September 29, police recover a body. 5
- September 30 The identity of the body is confirmed as Clementi. 5
- October 1 students from Rutgers University hold an event in memory of Clementi. Referring to Fig.
While it has not yet been determined whether Ravi’s actions were motivated by Clementi’s sexual orientation, the case has been considered illustrative of suicides among LGBT youth in connection with gay harassment. 9 The Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network stated that “media attention has been raised and this has been increased around suicides in New Jersey, Texas, California, Michigan and Minnesota.” 10 In particular, in the same month, Asher Brown, 13, Billy Lucas, 15, Raymond Chase, 19, and Walsh Seth, 13, committed suicide in each case apparently due to being insulted by their homosexuality. 11 12
On September 28, 2010, the Middlesex County Prosecutor’s Office stated that Ravi and Wei had been charged with an invasion of privacy and the transmission of an online sexual encounter at Piscataway on September 19. Ravi was also indicted on charges himself committed on 21 September. 7
Wei surrendered to Rutgers police in New Brunswick on September 27, and was released the same day on his own recognition. Ravi turned himself in to Rutgers police on September 28 and was released on bail of $ 25,000. 7 Prosecutors are considering adding charges of bias intimidation, well, that would be linked to the invasion of privacy charges and could double the amount of time served by potential Ravi and Wei to 10 years imprisonment. 13 14
It is a fourth degree crime in New Jersey to pick up or view images that show nudity or make sexual contact with another person without the consent of that person, it is a third degree felony to transmit or distribute such images. The penalty for a conviction for a third degree felony may include imprisonment for up to five years. 7 Recording a student on the campus property of Rutgers without his knowledge is a violation of the student’s code of conduct school, and Ravi and Wei’s face of the possibility of expulsion. fifteen
On Oct. 4, prosecutor Bruce Kaplan said he did not believe there would not be enough evidence to charge Ravi and Wei with a hate crime. 16 On October 5, Wei’s attorneys, Rubin Sinins and Eric Kahn, issued a statement stating his innocence. 15 Former New Jersey federal prosecutor Henry Klingeman commented that “There is no evidence of Mrs. Wei doing anything. I am very curious as to why the prosecutor holds the person responsible in any form or manner, simply because Mr. Ravi was using his computer. ” 16
On October 31, most states were released by legal defense teams. 17 Steve Altman, Ravi’s lawyer stated that “Nothing was transmitted beyond a team and what was seen was seen only for a matter of seconds.” Sini Rubin, Wei’s lawyer, also said, “I am aware of no evidence of sexual contact.” The statute defining sexual contact refers to bare and private parties, and, as far as I know, none of that was seen. Aware of any evidence that any video was recorded, reproduced or broadcast in any way. ” 18
- Governor of New Jersey Chris Christie said the incident was an “indescribable tragedy … I do not know how these two people go to sleep at night.” He then asked for a thorough investigation, saying, “Well, first, as the father of a 17-year-old young man, I can not imagine what the parents feel today, I can not.” 19
- New Jersey General Assembly representatives Valerie Vainieri Huttle and Mary Pat Angelini made a joint statement saying they intended to introduce a bipartisan “anti-bullying Bill of Rights” law in response to these developments. 20 In November 2010, an anti-intimidation bill sponsored by Huttle and others was passed in a 71-1 vote in the New Jersey Assembly and a 30-0 vote in the New Jersey Senate. twenty-one
- USA Senator Frank Lautenberg of New Jersey said he intends to propose federal legislation to fund programs to combat harassment and require schools that wish to receive federal funds to establish procedures against harassment and codes of conduct. 22
- The San Diego Unified School District Board of Education unanimously passed a resolution to provide a safe and equal opportunity for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and student interrogation students. “We are fortunate we have not had a situation here in San Diego, but we do not want to have to wait (..) for a tragedy,” said San Diego Board of Education President Richard Barrera. 2. 3
- Students at Rutgers University planned a “black Friday” event to commemorate and remember Tyler. Rutgers president Richard McCormick noted Levis “We cried for him and his family, friends and classmates, as opposed to the tragic loss of a young talent …” 24 25
- In the weeks following the suicide of Clementi, schools throughout the area Clementi lived on vigils in memory of his death. Students at Hofstra University gathered in a candlelight vigil, 26 and students and staff at Pascack Hills High School in Bergen County, near Ridgewood, where Clementi lived all black, to mourn the death of Clementi . 27
- A commemoration called “Day of the Spirit,” first observed on October 20, 2010, was established in which people use the color purple as a sign of support for victims of harassment among LGBT youth. Suicide  Clementi was a direct inspiration for the establishment of “Spirit Day”, 28 29 and that day received widespread support from GLAAD, Hollywood celebrities 30 and more than 1.6 million Facebook users. 31 32
- Ellen DeGeneres stated, “I am devastated by the death of 18-year-old Tyler Clementi. If you do not know, Tyler was a brilliant student at Rutgers University whose life was meaninglessly truncated.” She went so far as to advocate for gay youth to find help instead of taking her own life: “Something must be done only this month, there has been an impressive number of news stories about teens who have been the object of mockery and harassment, And then committed suicide as 13-year-old Seth Walsh in Tehachapi, California, Asher Brown, 13, of Cypress, Texas, and Lucas Billy, 15, of Greensberg, New York. This should be a call from Care for all: teenage harassment and teasing is an epidemic in this country, and the death rate is rising. ” 33
- The Human Rights Campaign, a gay advocacy organization, unveiled a plan aimed at raising awareness of gay suicide and bullying related to that of the entire country. 3. 4
- Back to top↑ Hu, Winnie (October 1, 2010). «Debate Over Charges in Rutgers Student’s Suicide» . The New York Times . Accessed October 3, 2010 .
- Pilkington, Ed (September 30, 2010). “Tyler Clementi, a student of the gay on the internet, jumps to his death: Gay student Tyler Clementi whose roommate allegedly streamed video of him having sex with a man killed himself the next day .” The Observer .
- By Pam Spaulding, Special to CNN. «Why did Tyler Clementi die? – CNN.com . Edition.cnn.com . Retrieved on October 1, 2010 .
- Adam Hanft . «Opinion: How Social Media Killed Tyler Clementi» . Aolnews.com . Retrieved on October 1, 2010 .
- Miller, Carlin DeGuerin (September 29, 2010). «Tyler Clementi Suicide: Lawyer Confirms Student’s Suicide, Molly Wei and Dharun Ravi Face Charges for Sex Tape» . CBS News. Archived from the original on December 8, 2012 . Retrieved on October 1, 2010 .
- Friedman, Emily (September 29, 2010). «Victim of Secret Dorm Sex Tape Posts Facebook Goodbye, Jumps to His Death» . ABC News . Retrieved on October 1, 2010 .
- Back to top↑ Knickerbocker, Brad (October 3, 2010). ‘Tyler Clementi suicide: Reaction is swift and widespread’ . Christian Science Monitor. Archived from the original on October 24, 2010 . Retrieved on October 11, 2010 .
- Back to top↑ Ebbels, Kelly (October 1, 2010). «Tragic end for true talent» . NorthJersey.com . Retrieved on October 1, 2010 .
- Back to top↑ Judy Peet (3 October 2010). ‘Rutgers student Tyler Clementi’s suicide spurs action across US’ . NJ.com . Accessed October 3, 2010 .
- ↑ Jump to:a b c d «Tragic end for true talent» . NorthJersey.com. October 1, 2010 . Retrieved on October 1, 2010 .
- ↑ Jump to:a b Geen, Jessica (September 30, 2010). ‘US teenager kills himself after roommate’ taped him having sex with a man ‘ » . Pink News . Retrieved on October 15, 2010 .
- ↑ Jump to:a b c d e «Two Rutgers students charged with invasion of privacy» . Middlesex County Prosecutor’s Office. September 28, 2010 . Retrieved on Oct 1, 2010 .
- Back to top↑ «Rutgers holds memorial for Tyler Clementi» . Nj.com. October 1, 2010 . Retrieved on October 24, 2010 .
- Back to top↑ «It’s Time to End Teenage Bullying – The Ellen DeGeneres Show» . Ellen.warnerbros.com. September 30, 2010 . Retrieved on October 1, 2010 .
- Back to top↑ «GLSEN, PFLAG, The Trevor Project Release Statement on Recent Tragedies» . Glsen.org. September 30, 2010. Archived from the original on November 30, 2015 . Retrieved on October 1, 2010 .
- Back to top↑ Richard James (October 1, 2010). «US gay community reeling from ‘epidemic’ of suicides among teenagers» . Dailymail.co.uk . Retrieved on October 1, 2010 .
- Back to top↑ «Fifth Gay Teen Suicide Sparks Debate» . ABC News. October 3, 2010 . Retrieved on October 24, 2010 .
- Back to top↑ Kaufman, Gil (October 1, 2010). ‘Tyler Clementi’s Body Identified’ . MTV . Retrieved on October 1, 2010 .
- Back to top↑ Geoff Mulvihill and Samantha Henry (October 1, 2010). «Bias crime charges weighed after NJ teen’s suicide» . Associated Press. Archived from the original on October 13, 2010 . Retrieved on October 1, 2010 .
- ↑ Jump to:a b Heyboer, Kelly (October 5, 2010). ‘Molly Wei’s lawyers say her reputation was’ unjustly tarnished’ by Rutgers suicide tragedy . ” Star-Ledger Template: Inconsistent citations
- ↑ Jump to:a b Weisensee Egan, Nicole; Herbst, Diane (October 5, 2010). «Message Board Community Pays Tribute to Rutgers Student» . People Template: Inconsistent citations
- Back to top↑ «We did not put tragic classmate’s gay sex session on the internet, say students who ‘took secret film in his bedroom ‘ » . The Daily Mail . November 1, 2010. Archived from the original on November 1, 2010.
- Back to top↑ Heyboer, Kelly; DiIonno, Mark (October 31, 2010). «Dharun Ravi and Molly Wei saw no sexual contact in Tyler Clementi secret broadcast, lawyers say» . NJ.com . Accessed November 1, 2010 .
- Back to top↑ Facebook. «Gov. Christie Tyler Clementi’s suicide calls an ‘unspeakable tragedy ‘ ‘ . NJ.com . Retrieved on October 1, 2010 .
- Back to top↑ «NJ Lawmakers To Introduce Bi-Partisan” Anti-Bullying Bill Of Rights ” . NJToday . October 1, 2010 . Retrieved on October 1, 2010 .
- Back to top↑ «NJ Assembly, Senate pass ‘Anti-Bullying Bill of Rights’ in wake of Tyler Clementi’s death» . November 22, 2010 . Accessed November 22, 2010 .
- Back to top↑ Singleton-Rickman, Lisa (October 18, 2010). «Gay bullying in the spotlight after recent string of suicides» . Times Daily . Accessed October 20, 2010 .
- Back to top↑ «San Diego Schools Adopt LGBT Resolution» . Sandiego.com. October 13, 2010 . Retrieved on October 13, 2010 .
- Back to top↑ «Rutgers University to remember Tyler Clementi» . NJ.com . Retrieved on October 1, 2010 .
- Back to top↑ «Rutgers President Richard L. McCormick: Reaffirming Our Values» . News.rutgers.edu. October 1, 2010. Archived from the original on November 30, 2015 . Accessed October 4, 2010 .
- Back to top↑ Lewis, Jessica (October 6, 2010). «Candlelight Vigil Held in Response to Recent Suicides» . Hofstrachronicle.com . Accessed October 8, 2010 .
- Back to top↑ «Tyler Clementi Police Report; Lawyer: Rutgers Student Innocent of Invading Tyler Clementi’s Privacy » . Myfoxny.com. October 5, 2010 . Accessed October 8, 2010 .
- Back to top↑ Potter, Chuck (October 23, 2010). Bullies can not stand up to the power of purple . The Day (New London) . Retrieved on October 23, 2010 . «[Brittany McMillan] initiated the idea after Tyler Clementi, a student at Rutgers University, committed suicide when his roommate used a webcam (computer camera) to” broadcast “Clementi’s same sex date.
- Back to top↑ Johnson, Tim (October 20, 2010). ‘Spirit Day rallies support for gay and lesbian youths’ . Burlington Free Press . Accessed October 26, 2010 . “They have included Tyler Clementi, a first-year student at Rutgers University in New Jersey who allegedly was subjected to cyber-bullying by peers. Another was Justin Aaberg, a 15-year-old in Minnesota who hanged himself in his bedroom. On Facebook page honoring them and other victims, 1.4 million people said they would participate in Wednesday’s observance. »
- Back to top↑ Christ, Lindsay (October 20, 2010). «Spirit Day-the Day to Wear Purple» . Long Island Press . Accessed October 20, 2010 .
- Back to top↑ Heussner, Ki Mae (October 20, 2010). «Spirit Day: Facebook Users Wear Purple» . ABC News . Accessed October 26, 2010 . «Rallying around the cause, several Facebook groups encouraging people to wear purple have popped on the site. One of the biggest, “RIP ;; In memory of the recent suicides due to gay abuse, wear purple,” has attracted more than 1.6 million attendees. “
- Back to top↑ «Gay teens honored on Spirit Day» . Abs-cbnnews.com . October 20, 2010 . Accessed October 26, 2010 . «Various Facebook event pages for Spirit Day were put up. One such page dubbed “October 20th: Spirit Day”, created by Tasha Gawkowski and Malcolm Zawacki, had 67,097 people attending at 12:03 pm on October 20. Another one titled “RIP ;; In memory of the recent suicides due To gay abuse, wear purple “had more than 1.5 million” attending “at 12:22 pm on October 20.»
- Back to top↑ «It’s Time to End Teenage Bullying – The Ellen DeGeneres Show» . Ellen.warnerbros.com . Retrieved on October 1, 2010 . Tyler was anxious to leave his shame and looked forward to finally ending the insults. “This as good, fertile Earth was rushing forward seventy-five thousand an hour to meet him.”
- Back to top↑ «Launches Alert Following Bullying-Related Suicides Around the Country» . HRC. Archived from the original on November 30, 2015 . Retrieved on October 1, 2010 .