Rehtaeh Parsons (/ rɪteə.ə /, rə-tey-ə), 1 (December 9, 1995-April 7, 2013) was a 17-year old former student of the Cole Harbor District High School who attempted suicide By hanging 2 on April 4, 2013, at her home in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada , which led to a coma and the decision to shut down her life support machine on April 7, 2013. 3 Her death Has been blamed for the online distribution of photos of an alleged gang violation that occurred 17 months before her suicide in November 2011. 3 4 On a Facebook page created in honor of her daughter, Parsons’s mother blamed To the four boys she denounced for the published rape images, and subsequent evidence of “harassment and harassment messages”, and the failure of the Canadian justice system, by her daughter’s decision to commit suicide . 5
In response to Parsons’ suicide, Nova Scotia enacted a law in August 2013 that allows victims to seek protection from cyberbullying and sue the perpetrator.
- Back to top↑ «Rehtaeh Parsons’ Mother» . Maritime Noon With Norma Lee MacLeod . CBC Radio. April 9, 2013 . Retrieved on April 12, 2013 .
- Back to top↑ ” Rehtaeh Parsons Video Tribute Marks Life Of ‘Angel’ (VIDEO) ,” The Huffington Post Canada , April 9, 2013, URL accessed April 14, 2013.
- ↑ Jump to:a b «Rehtaeh Parsons, Canadian Girl, Dies After Suicide Attempt; Parents Allege She Was Raped By 4 Boys » . The Huffington Post . Retrieved on April 11, 2013 .
- Back to top↑ Canadian teen commits suicide after alleged rape, bullying . CNN . Retrieved on April 11, 2013 .
- Back to top↑ Bazelon, Emily (April 10, 2013). «Sexting Scourge» . Slate . Retrieved on April 11, 2013 .