Irving Nathan “Nat” Hentoff ( Boston , Massachusetts , June 10, 1925- Manhattan , New York , January 7, 2017) 2 was a historian, novelist and music critic American . He was a columnist on jazz and country for various media, including The Wall Street Journal .
Hentoff was a columnist for Down Beat , The Village Voice , JazzTimes , Legal Times , The Washington Post , The Washington Times , The Progressive , Editor & Publisher, and The Free Inquiry . He was a writer in The New Yorker , and his writings have been published in the New York Times , Jewish World Review , The Atlantic , The New Republic , Commonweal and in the Encyclopedia of the Spettacolo of Italy.
He declared himself to be “pro-life, Jew, atheist, defender of civil liberties, left-wing”. 3
- Hear Me Talkin ‘To Ya , with Nat Shapiro (1955)
- The Jazz Makers , with Nat Shapiro (1957)
- The Jazz Life ISBN 0-306-80088-8 (1961)
- Peace Agitator: The Story of AJ Muste . ISBN 0-9608096-0-0 (1963)
- The New Equality (1964) – Full cast and crew
- Our Children Are Dying (with John Holt) (1967)
- A Doctor Among the Addicts (1968)
- A Political Life: The Education of John V. Lindsay (1969)
- Journey into Jazz (1971)
- Jazz Is (1976)
- Does Anybody Give a Damn ?: Nat Hentoff on Education (Random House; 1977)
- The First Freedom: The Tumultuous History of Free Speech in America (1980)
- American Heroes: In and Out of School (1987)
- John Cardinal O’Connor: At the Storm Center of a Changing American Catholic Church . ISBN 0-684-18944-5 (1988)
- Free Speech for Me – But Not for Thee: How the American Left and Right Relentlessly Censor Each Other . ISBN 0-06-099510-6 (1993)
- Listen to the Stories: Nat Hentoff on Jazz and Country Music . ISBN 0-06-019047-9 (1995)
- Living the Bill of Rights: How to Be an Authentic American . ISBN 0-520-21981-3 (1999)
- The War on the Bill of Rights and the Gathering Resistance . ISBN 1-58322-621-4 (2004)
- American Music Is (2004)
- Insisting on Life (with Wesley Smith and Maria McFadden) (2005)
- Jazz Country (1965)
- Call the Keeper (1966)
- Onwards! (1968)
- I’m Really Dragged But Nothing Gets Me Down (1968)
- This School is Driving Me Crazy (1976)
- Does This School Have Capital Punishment? (1982)
- Blues for Charlie Darwin (1982)
- The Day They Came To Arrest The Book (1983)
- The Man from Internal Affairs (1985)
- Boston Boy: Growing Up with Jazz and Other Rebellious Passions . ISBN 0-9679675-2-X (1986)
- Speaking Freely: A Memoir (1997)
- The Nat Hentoff Reader . ISBN 0-306-81084-0 (2001)
- Hear Me Talkin ‘to Ya: The Story of Jazz by the Men Who Made It (with Nat Shapiro) (1955)
- Jazz: New Perspectives on the History of Jazz ISBN 0-306-80088-8 (with Albert McCarthy ) (1959)
- Black Anti-Semitism and Jewish Racism (1969)
- Back to top↑ Collier, L .; Hillstrom, LC; Nakamura, J. (1993). Major Authors and Illustrators for Children and Young Adults: A Selection of Sketches from Something about the Author 3 . Gale Research. ISBN 9780810373846 . Accessed December 12, 2014 .
- Back to top↑ M. de la Cavada, Yahweh (08-01-2017). “Nat Hentoff dies, historic chronicler of jazz .” The Country . Retrieved on January 9, 2017 .
- Back to top↑ Hentoff, Nat (1993). Pro-Choice Bigots . The Human Life Review (in American English) . P. 17 . Consulted on 2017-01-18 .