Ivey Foreman Lewis ( 31 as August 1882 – 16 as March 1964 ) was a geneticist , botanist , Phycologist , eugenics US .
He was Aboriginal from Raleigh, North Carolina . He obtained his BS in 1902. His MS in 1903 from the University of North Carolina . And in 1908, his PhD from Johns Hopkins University , and professor of biology at Randolph-Macon College from 1905 to 1912; Assistant professor of botany at the University of Wisconsin-Madison from 1912 to 1914; Professor of botany at the University of Missouri from 1914 to 1915; And in 1915 professor of biology and agriculture at the University of Virginia. He was appointed dean of the University in 1934 and dean of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences in 1946, a position he held until his retirement in 1953. 1 2
He was also a strong supporter of eugenics in the course of his career. 3 4
- 1934. Synopsis of Lectures: Biology B I. (first Half Year) . Biology B I. 818 (21) With Edwin Morris Betts. Ed. Univ. Of Virginia, 100 p.
- 1933. Algae of Charlottesville and Vicinity , 16 p.
- 1929. Pollen Analysis of Dismal Swamp Peat . With Elton Cromwell Cocke. Ed. Elisha Mitchell Sci. Soc. 22 p.
- 1917. The Vegetation of Shackleford Bank , v. 46-50 Economic paper 46. Ed. Edwards & Broughton Print. Co. 40 p.
- American Academy of Arts and Sciences
- 1939: President of the American Society of Naturalists
- 1942: American Biological Society .
- 1949: Botanical Society of America . 1
- The abbreviation I.F.Lewis is used to indicate to Ivey Foreman Lewis like authority in the description and scientific classification of the vegetables. (See the list of all genera and species described by this author in IPNI ).
- ↑ Jump to:a b Runk, BFD; Gooch, Robert K .; Husted, Ladley (1964). “A Resolution on the Death of Ivey Foreman Lewis: University of Virginia.” Castanea 29 (4): 188-191. JSTOR 4031997 .
- Back to top↑ «Dr. Ivey Foreman Lewis, 81 . The New York Times . March 17, 1964.
- Back to top↑ Dorr, Gregory Michael (2008). Segregation’s Science: Eugenics and Society in Virginia . University of Virginia Press. Pp. 72-77. ISBN 978-0-8139-2755-8 .
- Back to top↑ Dorr, Gregory Michael (2000). “Assuring America’s Place in the Sun: Ivey Foreman Lewis and the Teaching of Eugenics at the University of Virginia, 1915-1953.” The Journal of Southern History 66 (2): 257-296. JSTOR 2587659 . PMID 17896450.
- “Ivey Foreman Lewis .” International Plant Names Index (IPNI) . Royal Botanical Garden of Kew , Herbarium of Harvard University and Australian National Herbarium (eds.). .