David Paintin Hon FFSRH MB ChB FRCOG is a medical English and emeritus professor in obstetrics and gynecology at the University of London . 1 He is former president of the Trust Control of Natalidad and worked in the campaign to approve the Law of Abortion 1967 . 2 3 4
Paintin validated his degree in 1954. 5 He trained under the supervision of Professor (then Sir) Dugald Baird, in Aberdeen, before becoming professor of obstetrics and gynecology at St Mary’s Hospital Medical School , London in 1963. From 1963 to 1991, and based at St Mary’s Medical School, he organized the teaching of medical students and also as an honorary consultant, provided NHS services for Paddington and North Kensington. He joined the Association of Reform of the Abortion Act ( acronym in English ALRA ) in 1963, and was one of the gynecologists who advised Lord Silkin and David Steel, now Lord Steel of Aikwood, during parliamentary debates that led to The Abortion Act 1967. He was president of the Birth Control Foundation (1981-1998) and administrator of the Pregnancy Advisory Service (1981-1996) and the British Pregnancy Advisory Service ) (1996-2003). 6
Subsequently, he continued to work on abortion issues. 7 He was editor of the British Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology for a period. 8 In a new book, David Paintin reflected in the legal debates that led to the 1967 Abortion Act and its subsequent implementation, and parliamentarians to undermine and restrict abortion law in Britain in the 1970s and 1980s attempts 9 10
- 2015. Abortion law reform in Britain. 1964-2003: a personal account . British Pregnancy Advisory Service, 112 p.
- 1997. Ante-natal screening and abortion for fetal abnormality. Medical and ethical issues . Published Birth Control Trust, 96 p. ISBN 0906233372 , ISBN 9780906233375
- 1995. The Provision of Emergency Hormonal Contraception . Ed. David Paintin. Contributed Royal College of Obstetricians & Gynecologists. Faculty of Family Planning & Reproductive Health Care. Illustrated edition of RCOG Press, 145 p. ISBN 0902331760 , ISBN 9780902331761
- Back to top↑ Paintin D (1997). Abortion after 24 weeks. BJOG: An International J. of Obstetrics & Gynecology , 104 (4): 398-400
- Back to top↑ Abortion Law Reformers: Pioneers of Change , ed. × Ann Furedi & Mick Hume, Birth Control Trust 1997. Reprinted bpas 2007
- Back to top↑ “Abortion act: Forty years of freedom to choose,” Paul Bignell, The Independent , April 27, 2008. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/abortion-act -forty-years-of-freedom-to-choose-816116.html
- Back to top↑ http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/news/call-to-axe-abortion-law/193570.article
- Back to top↑ http://www.kcl.ac.uk/sspp/departments/icbh/witness/PDFfiles/AbortionAct1967.pdf
- Back to top↑ Paintin, David (2015). Abortion Law Reform in Britain 1964-2003: A Personal Account . Stratford-upon-Avon: British Pregnancy Advisory Service (bpas).
- Back to top↑ “The perils of playing politics with abortion” (in English) . The Guardian. October 8, 2012 . Accessed August 26, 2016 .
- Back to top↑ A Change of Editor: Tribute to David Paintin, British Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology 1992, 99 : 537
- Back to top↑ Paintin, David (2015). «Abortion Law Reform in Britain 1964-2003: A Personal Account» . British Pregnancy Advisory Service.
- Back to top↑ ‘Health Abortion’ part of birth control ‘ ‘ (in English) . BBC. 28 January 1999 . Accessed August 26, 2016 .