The abortion in Romania is legal during the first fourteen weeks of pregnancy. 1 Abortions during the later stages of pregnancy are only legal when a woman’s life is in danger. 2 3 During 2004 there were 216,261 live births and 191,000 reported abortions, 4 meaning that 46% of the 407,261 pregnancies that year resulted in abortion.
During the popular republic
In 1957, the procedure was officially legalized in Romania, and then 80% of pregnancies resulted in abortions, mainly due to lack of effective contraception. In 1966 abortion was again criminalized (except in exceptional cases), by decree 770 5 under the government of Nicolae Ceauşescu .
The policy natalist was completed with mandatory gynecological examinations and penalties for single women over 25 years old and married couples without children. 5
The sudden effect of this policy was a transition from a 14.3% birth rate in 1966 to 27.4% in 1967. Between 1972 and 1985, more decrees changed the minimum age for legal abortion. 5
The children born during this period, especially between 1966 and 1972, are nicknamed the decreţei (singular decreţel ). They had to endure crowded public services because the state was not ready for the sudden increase.
The word decreţei has a negative nuance due to perceived physical and mental harm due to risky pregnancies and unsuccessful illegal abortions. 6
This policy was changed in 1989, after the Romanian Revolution , and since that time, abortion has been legal in Romania.
Abortions in Romania after 1989 7
|Year||Abortions||Per 1000 women||Per 1,000 live births|
|nineteen ninety five||502,840||87.5||2,129.5|
|nineteen ninety six||455,340||78.6||1,971.9|
- Back to top↑ “Avortul în România” on scienceline.ro (in Romanian)
- Back to top↑ Romanian 11-year-old can legally abort pregnancy : Reuters, published June 27, 2008
- Back to top↑ Romania: 11-Year-Old Victim To Be Allowed Abortion : The New York Times, published June 27, 2008
- Back to top↑ Abortion statistics of Romania up to 2004 . Retrieved 2007-08-04 .
- ↑ Jump to:a b c Scarlat, Sandra. ” ‘Decreţeii’: produsele unei epoci care to îmbolnăvit România” ( ” ‘Scions of the Decree’: Products of an Era That Sickened Romania”) , Evenimentul Zilei , 17 as maypole as 2005 .
- Back to top↑ decreţel in the 123Urban dictionary .
- Back to top↑ According to INSSE http://www.insse.ro/cms/files/pdf/ro/cap2.pdf